Thursday, April 5, 2007

New Tolkien out this month




Who says dead men tell no tales?

As if all the talk of "The Hobbit" coming to the big screen -- with or without Peter Jackson at the helm -- wasn't tease enough for Tolkien fans, now comes this news of "The Children of Hurin."

Yes, it seems Tolkien himself will have a "new" book out this very month. The story appears to be an expansion of material from "The Silmarillion," a treasure trove of epic concepts begging to be translated to film. At least I've been begging.

The soon-to-be-published "Hurin" was evidently started by the Old Tolk in 1918 and subsequently completed/edited/reworked by Christopher. Just how this fits in with the "Unfinished Tales" with which Christopher was similarly involved, I have no idea. (As big a fan as I am, I have yet to work up the nerve to crack those densely-packed, footnote-riddled volumes.)

The news here hints that this too may end up a movie. And don't forget, New Line has stated several times that yet another Tolkien project -- a prequel set between Hobbit and LOTR -- is very much a go at this point.

Hey, the more Tolkien on film, the better if you ask me. But more actual Tolkien...? I'm in heaven.

And for my money, I agree with Elijah Wood that Jackson will be back somehow for at least "Hobbit." But if he's not, please let it be Zack Snyder.


"The Children of Hurin" is due out April 17.

No comments: