Thursday, February 28, 2008

True royalty


Prince Harry in the trenches with "the blokes"

If you didn't see this news today, see it.
"British military officials confirmed that Harry, 23, third in line to the British throne, deployed to Afghanistan on Dec. 14 and has been fighting Taliban forces from a forward operating base in southern Helmand province."
Say what you want about do-nothing royals and a life of "undeserved privilege," but I'd like to see a Kennedy exhibit this kind of patriotism and sense of duty:

"In the December interview, one of the most extensive of his life, Harry said he considered leaving the army after being denied an Iraq deployment. The reason he didn't, he said, was 'the possibility of this' mission to Afghanistan."

Elsewhere in a videotaped interview, he recounts the Queen telling him where he was bound and her approval of his service. Asked what his mum would say, he responded, "I think she'd be proud."

Yes, it's moments like these that make me proud to be an Anglophile.

" 'I would never want to put someone else's life in danger when they have to sit next to the bullet magnet,' he said. 'But if I'm wanted, if I'm needed, then I will serve my country as I signed up to do.' "

Which brings to mind another Prince Hal.

And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

-- Henry V

No comments: