Monday, March 24, 2008

Tintin update



What's not to love about this project? Spielberg and Peter Jackson are both directing installments... Andy Serkis is doing the motion capture for Captain Haddock... Even the stories now being theorized as the target films sound perfect:
This would mean Spielberg will adapt "The Secret of the Unicorn" and "Red Rackham's Treasure" stories. The first book follows the pair racing to find three parchments, hidden inside the masts of three ship model replicas, which lead to a buried treasure of Haddock's ancestor Red Rackham. The second sees the voyage to find the treasure somewhere in the Caribbean.
I devoured these "graphic novels" (come on, they're comics, people) as a kid growing up in Montana. My brother and I used to check them out at the library every chance we had. They still epitomize the notion of pure adventure in my mind, which is why I'm getting goosebumps over all this.

This also gives me a chance to link a great article I read a year or so back: "All I Know About Travel I Learned From Tintin." And with headings like "chloroform is an effective sleeping aid" you can see why this appealed to the boy I was then and the boy, truth be told, I remain today.

No comments: