Monday, April 28, 2008

'Hobbit' details


The road goes ever on...

In case you missed it, 'The Hobbit' is officially a go with director Guillermo del Toro, and he's already dutifully dropped by TheOneRing.net to introduce himself and lay our fears to rest.
Prep on "The Hobbit" will kick off this Summer, including the 'reforestation' of The Shire sets to look as much like they did in 'Rings' as possible.

He's already been in contact with the likes of Andy Serkis, Sir Ian McKellen, Howard Shore, John Howe, Gino Acevedo, and Richard Taylor in regards to the film to "ensure that whatever we do we keep continuity with the other films".

del Toro proudly says that he'll use as much practical filming as possible - "I would like to avoid is the recreation of the natural environments in CG, I don't like doing that. The movie is essentially a journey movie, I think you need to use locations as much as possible."
Del Toro will be moving to New Zealand for the next four years to immerse himself in producer Peter Jackson's WETA world. Jackson will also be a very, very hands-on producer, it seems.

I wasn't crazy about Del Toro getting the job, but his resume is no worse than PJ's when he came along. So far, I'm getting a good vibe.

Best of all, my son will be around 8 or 9 years old when these come out. I'm counting the days already.

No comments: