Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Christians riding high on 'American Idol'


I'll admit it. We watch this show, and have since the second season. Freak Week draws me in, and Simon's politically incorrect spade calling usually keeps me watching.

Some years I care, others I don't. But the talent has been deep this year, so I'm watching with more interest than usual...with the help of the DVR fast-forward button of course.

We all knew about Danny Gokey's church background, but MTV reports a faith-connection is the rule rather than the exception among the top crop this season, with Michael Sarver, Kris Allen, Scott MacIntyre and Matt Giraud reportedly among the faithful. (Look for it to come down to Gokey and Giraud in the end, IMHO.)

This of course makes me not only watch but vote, because the entertainment industry could use a few more good souls for salt and light.

As a side note, though, I'd say Joanne Brokaw (quoted by MTV) is wrong on one point. Contemporary Christian music has been viable for a long time now, with many a crossover act over the past 20 years, including disparate acts like Creed, Sixpence, Jars of Clay, Nickleback, and Mercy Me.

Pop music is a cheese-based product by definition of course -- another reason to keep it out of church -- but who doesn't enjoy a few slices as part of a balanced diet every now and then?

1 comment:

K said...

I thought Christians weren't supposed to be "Idol" worshipers. ;)