Monday, December 15, 2008

Winning hearts and soles in Iraq


The only opinion that counts

When that brave Iraqi reporter tossed a shoe at the president's head yesterday -- a major event dutifully played on a loop everywhere fine journalism is sold -- I learned just one thing...

Reporters are idiots the world over.

Seriously, what's the difference between Sheik Olbermann (like it? made it myself) and the one on MSNBC? Keith Olbermann smells slightly better, presumably.

Granted, I can see how the man wouldn't need shoes anymore. No dictators or terrorists to run from these days thanks to the American government and all.

The real difference, of course, is between both of these guys and George W. Bush.

Unlike Abu Blitzer, Bush didn't fall flat on his can during this incident. Imagine, as I do occasionally to stay sane, if Al Gore had won in 2000 and by some miracle found himself in this situation. He would have globally warmed his pants.

And unlike Keith Olbermann, Bush knows how to respond rationally and smile in the face of his enemies. Heck, smile period.

Love him or hate him, you've gotta respect the grace and humility with which President Bush takes the hits. And this hit was undeniably the cruelest, funniest moment in a presidency not lacking for sketch comedy material.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. With regard to protection of this country during time of war -- a war Islam declared on us, not the other way around -- history will do the talking for George W. Bush. And last I checked, that's supposed to be the primary role of the federal government.

True, we've all wanted to pelt the man with produce on certain tangential issues from time to time. I personally have a Nike Outlet's worth of zapatos to unload his direction if he retires to the ranch with Ramos and Compean still in jail.

But for me the negatives all fade into the background when I see this footage, same as when Michael Moore tried to denigrate him with this clip and ended up having the opposite effect.

So keep rolling that beautiful bean footage, CNN.

Those catlike moves and "bring it on" grin President Bush flashed as Hajji tossed his dusty Keds his way only makes me remember why I loved this president in the first place.

No comments: